Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Passenger Side Engagement: Tips to find the perfect diamond ring



I'm clueless...How do I figure what my girlfriend's perfect ring is?

First off, get used to being clueless. I have.
- your most valuable clues are going to be from her friends.  Whether you know it or not, she and her friends have talked about it.  Ask her friends for clues.  If she doesn't have any friends, or you don't want to clue them in due to loose lips then try window shopping at your local mall and peer in the windows with her casually.

Think about her style, Is it contemporary?  Does she like vintage things? Does she like to be more simple and laid-back?  Is she rough with her items? Another aspect to think about is her career and how the ring will be worn day to day.  For example, being in Florida, there are a lot of hospitals for the old people and therefore many nurses and doctors.  In this scenario, I would suggest the diamond to be set low and without too many prongs.  This will allow the latex gloves to come on and off with ease and keep them from ripping easily.

If you would like to surprise her you can purchase a diamond and have your jeweler set the diamond in a plain solitaire setting so that you may propose with the chosen diamond.  Then later go back to your jeweler and search for the setting of her dreams together and have your diamond set in the new setting.  This will allow you to have the element of surprise and work together for the best setting.

As a side note, some jewelers will give you credit for the old solitaire.  I suggest to keep it and add a synthetic cubic zirconia in the center and have that as a travel ring so you don't risk getting your real ring lost or stolen in the unfamiliar area.    

Thanks for tuning in,

Amir Chokr Gemologist (GIA)

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap! That ring is georgous!!!! If that would of been available when I we got engaged, I would of wanted Brad to of gotten me that but I'm happy with my simplier version of that :D

    ReplyDelete