Thursday, February 17, 2011

Passenger Side Engagement: First step in purchasing a diamond


What should my first step be in buying a diamond?

First step is obviously to find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. The second step would be to give her something to represent your love for each other. You can begin two different ways.  First, search around locally to find a reputable jeweler that has a Gemologist on staff to help you begin looking for a diamond.  Make sure they have an assortment of shapes and sizes for you to view.  Most jewelers are more than happy to assist you in the beginning stages and inform them if this is your first purchase.  Learn all you can and ask every question you have, and I guarantee they have heard every question imaginable and are happy to answer yours.  Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people!

Secondly, you can search online, ( or my blog) and learn many aspects of purchasing a diamond.  There are many resources out there (and my blog) to help you step by step. The quality of diamond and budget you have set aside to make the purchase is important. The choice is up to the individual, but my preference is quality.

No budget is too small. For example, my father, the owner of the business purchased a diamond 1/20th of a carat for my mom. That was all he could afford and it still today holds true in my eyes. No customer is too small or insignificant. Let's have fun and choose the piece of her dream.

All the best,

Amir Chokr Gemologist (GIA)

No comments:

Post a Comment